The Story of St. Andrew's
On September 14, 1890, twelve persons responded to the invitation of the Rev. (later Bishop) Lemuel Wells to meet for Evening Prayer and to begin a mission called St. Andrew’s. They met in Gilbert Hall, on Sixth Avenue near Pine.
On June 19, 1892, services began in a newly constructed church on Oakes Street, about a block away from Sixth Avenue. The congregation grew and thrived at that location for decades, eventually outgrowing that facility.
In 1956, Ada Webb, daughter of the former rector Dr. Frederick Webb, died and left a generous bequest which enabled the construction of the second stage of our facility: the Ada Webb room and the rooms below it, including the kitchen.
In 1968 the third stage of the facility was built, including the church nave and Puddicombe Hall below, through the capital gifts and fundraising of the congregation.
For many years, St. Andrew’s Annual Parish Meetings included discussion of the need for enlarged and accessible restrooms and an elevator between floors. In 2013, we stepped out in faith to make this happen. A capital stewardship campaign, chaired by Pam Tinsley, raised almost $600,000, with over 80% of the congregation participating in some capacity. Our building is now accessible to all, including a renovation of our columbarium and the installation of a Celtic Cross, created by Jean Tudor, with a central emblem invoking the mountains and waters of the Northwest
In 2014, the generosity of the congregation, outside donors, and of Paul Fritts himself enabled us to retrofit our choir loft and install our Paul Fritts Opus 13 pipe organ in its majestic setting above our nave. Its dedication memorializes the contributions of Polly Boone Hickman and others to our music ministries.
These improvements are not only for our congregation but also for all whom we serve or seek to welcome. Good stewardship continues to be a serious commitment here at St. Andrew’s. This is a generous and faithful congregation—thanks be to God!
816 Oakes Street
12th and Jackson in the late 1950s
St. Andrew's in 1954
St. Andrew's from the east in 1970
Legend of the Star Quilt
Traditionally Native Americans honor special people with a Star Quilt. The Star signifies patriotism and friendship. The quilts are often done in red, white and blue and come in many forms. Our quilt offers us two other symbols, The Peace Pipe and the Eagle. The sacred pipe is offered to the Spirit of the World. The actual pipe is adorned with 4 ribbons and an Eagle feather. The black ribbon is for the West where thunder and rain originate. The white is for the North where the great white cleansing wind blows. Red is for the East where light springs forth and the morning star lives. Yellow is for the South, where summer and power of growth comes forth. The Eagle feather stands for the one which is like our Father. The full Eagle represents freedom, life and power.
The carving of the Altar frontal was done by Art McKellips of Tacoma and is made of bass wood. The scene is from the 21st chapter of John’s gospel. It reminds us that disappointments happen to us all, that we may not recognize the Lord when he
first calls, that when we follow his guidance we find blessings, and that our Lord restores and rehabilitates us to serve others. The border is vine leaves and grapes; the four corner symbols are for Good Friday, Easter, the Church and the Old Testament. The committee who designed this was Eleanor Marrazzo, Jim Morrell, Virginia Shaffer, Helen Pahl, Polly Hickman and the Rev. J.W.Bertolin.
This lovely frontal was dedicated on Palm Sunday in Memory of Alice Lynton Morrell who died April 29, 1971 at age 22 years. In 1969 she became paralyzed from a tumor on her spine. She and Jim Morrell were married in St. Andrew’s in 1969 and they entered into all the programs of the church including helping the office, church school and E.C.W. This was accomplished with grace while Lynn was confined to a wheel chair. Alice Lynton Morrell was a beautiful young lady who attended St. Andrew’s for just less than two years but will be remembered with this memorial given by her husband, mother, aunts and friends.